Do you know that saying that goes: “too good to be true”? well, that applies to this pranayama! it is just too easy and too good and YES it is true! it really does the work!
Box Breathing is a pranayama technique used to manage stressful situations. It has been out there for hundreds of years but it has become super popular among navy SEALS! so, if it works for them, it will definitely work for you and me, right?
The reason why is called box breathing is that it happens in 4 equal counts. Breathing in 4 secs, holding it in 4, breathing out in 4 and holding with an empty stomach in 4.
How to do Box Breathing
Sit up straight
Relax your forehead and facial muscles
- Inhale through your nose for 4 seconds. Feel the air enter your lungs.
- Hold your breath while counting 4 seconds. Do not clamp your mouth or nose shut. Simply avoid inhaling or exhaling for 4 seconds.
- Exhale softly for 4 seconds.
- Hold your stomach empty, without inhaling for 4 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise for 5 minutes
Benefits of Box Breathing
- Calms and regulates your nervous system
- Helps you to cope with stress
- Reduces panic and worry
- Brings more oxygen to your body
- Helps to keep anxiety levels stable for longer periods
- Relieves chronic physical ailments
- Boosts your immune system
- It makes possible a greater opening of your rib cage
- A greater degree of awareness
- Control over your body’s functions
- State of mindfulness (present moment)
- More Energy
As you know, you can check this (and other pranayama’s) in my youtube channel. So make sure you subscribe so you get notified each time I go live (every Wednesday)
See you there!
If you want to learn other pranayamas, please check these articles: